Ryan Aeronautical

The Teledyne-Ryan facility played an important role in San Diego aviation history. Established by T. Claude Ryan in 1935 on a 10-acre site on the south central part of the airport along North Harbor Drive, the facility has a long aviation history, beginning as a flight school and evolving into an aircraft manufacturing facility containing offices, aircraft hangars and engineering buildings. At this site, many different kinds of aircraft were manufactured during the company’s period of operations. Initially, the aircraft were made by hand, but as technologies improved, the assembly-line was used to build airplanes during World War II.  The company made important contributions to the nation’s war efforts during World War II, through the Korean War and into the Cold War.

The Ryan Aeronautical District contains 47 buildings, of which 17 are considered historically significant resources for their contribution to aircraft manufacturing from 1939 to 1969 at Lindbergh Field, and are also considered important for their industrial architecture during the period.

Each of the buildings and structures included with the boundaries of the site were documented according to the National Park Service Historic American Building Survey (HABS) standards. HABS documentation combines drawings, history, and photography to produce a comprehensive, interdisciplinary record. HABS documentation conveys what is most important about the buildings and structures, both historically and architecturally.

This website is designed to offer a glimpse into the history of the Teledyne-Ryan facility so that visitors can grasp its historic significance and come away with a new appreciation of the role that this company played in San Diego’s aviation history.


Ryan Navion planes sitting in front of the hanger. An aerial view of the Ryan Aeronautical site. Ryan Navion planes with wings folded are taxied across the deck of a US World War 2 carrier.

Site Map of Ryan Aeronautical Historic District

The interactive sitemap below depicts the historic Ryan Aeronautical site. The buildings that contribute to the historic district are depicted in blue. Please hover on the marker for a brief description of the HABS report for that particular building.

Building 100
Building 100
Building 102
Building 102
Building 104
Building 104
Building 105
Building 105
Building 111
Building 111
Building 115
Building 115
Building 120
Building 120
Building 121
Building 121
Building 122
Building 110/112-122
Building 123
Building 123
Building 125
Building 125
Building 126
Building 126
Building 127
Building 127
Building 128
Building 128
Building 129
Building 129
Building 130
Building 130
Building 131
Building 131
Building 140
Building 140
Building 142
Building 142
Building 146-146a
Building 146-146a
Building 147
Building 147
Building 148
Building 148
Building 150
Building 150
Building 152
Building 152
Building 153
Building 153
Building 154
Building 154
Building 156
Building 156
Building 157
Building 157
Building 158
Building 158
Building 159
Building 159
Building 160
Building 160
Building 161
Building 161
Building 166
Building 166
Building 167
Building 167
Building 168
Building 168
Building 169
Building 169
Building 170
Building 170
Building 180
Building 180
Building 181
Building 181
Building 182
Building 182
Building 183
Building 183
Building 221
Building 221
Building 230
Building 230
Building 236
Building 236
Building 242
Building 252
Building 513
Building 513